End of the day goodness

End of the day goodness
Backyard travel

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sochi! Sochi! Sochi!

I am a giant unapologetic Olympics junkie.  You can expect all sorts of commentary from this peanut gallery over the next 17 days.  When the girls and I got home, I happened on a golden Olympic Moments documentary on Cozy TV.  Within 2 seconds, all three of us were hooked.  It happened to be about Petra Majdic, a Slovenian cross country skier who earned the country's first medal in that sport at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.

First of all, let me explain that I am a big wimp.  I got one ear pierced and almost kept the pirate look because I did not want the pain of ear 2.  Petra did 4 races I think in a row to earn a bronze medal.  She had been injured and was in excruciating pain.  I could barely watch.  It literally hurt just to watch.  Not to mention, it was very, very close in the final race, she barely got the bronze.  I couldn't stand to think that she had endured all that and could loose in the last split second.  I should have realized that she had worked for 20 years and was not about to give up on her dream.  Right after she crossed the line, she collapsed.  

Her trip to the hospital revealed that she had crossed the finish line with 5 broken ribs and a collapsed lung.  She raced 4 races with a collapsed lung and still won.  That is why I am an Olympics junkie.  Because of the Petra Majdic's all over the world.  Of course I am proud when America does well, but I love cheering for someone from anywhere who has the tenacity to follow their dream.  Particularly when the athletes do not have state of the art facilities, equipment, and funding.  When someone like that wins, it is......damn cultural phrases for overusing this word.......epic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra_Majdič
 

No comments:

Post a Comment