End of the day goodness

End of the day goodness
Backyard travel

Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Top 3 Reasons I love you.

Helen has this brilliant teacher, Mrs. P., she has these great ideas that turn things like reading time into something special.  Friday the kids made towel and chair forts, turned off the lights, then curled up with a good book.   Last week she also had the kids create simple yet thought provoking 3, 2, 1 Mother’s day cards.   The card consists of the Top 3 reasons each child has for why they love their Mom.  Helen listed them as follows.

Number 3:  You take us to do lots of fun things.
Number 2:  You’re always there for me.
Number 1:  You will love me no matter what.

It was such a gift for me to know these three things.  I have just spent a good portion of the school year yelling at them for loosing at least 100 socks, for spending more time getting up from the table than eating at meal time, and for turning their rooms and playroom into the pit of despair.  I could go on and on and on but the bottom line is that a whole lot of parenting is spent in a grumpy state.  I have been particularly grumpy with Helen because she is 9 and now at the Bart Simpson age.  Before I was a parent I had no idea Bart was portrayed at that stage of life for a reason.   9 year olds are obnoxious.  I was obnoxious.  John was obnoxious,……sometimes I think men never really leave the Bart Simpson phase, it just morphs into Homer.

I see how Helen looks at me now when I correct her.  It is no longer the hurt little girl who is sad and remorseful for doing something wrong.  She gets sullen and mumbles under her breath things like “I was JUST trying to be funny.  I was JUST trying to make a point.  I was JUST reading a book and enjoying being engrossed in another world and didn’t notice you leaving Target to go get Lauren from tutoring which is why you had to have the store put in lock down while the book and I were being located.” 

Ah, we are entering the stage where being a parent means spending a lot of time being disliked.  So, to get a card that says “I love you for taking us to do lots of fun things, you’re always there for me,” and most of all, the one I love reading more than anything because it is so true, “You will love me no matter what,” brightens even the rainiest Mother's Day.


Thank you Helen and Mrs. P for the rainbow. 

2 comments:

  1. If only #1 pertained to husbands!
    I had another way of looking at #1 with my mother. In her eyes, I could do no wrong. I do not think that girls could test a mother's reserve like some boys do. For instance leaving toads in strategic places through out the house, putting a live lizard in her glove, trying out the old hot foot trick (placing a paper match between her toes and lighting it while she was sleeping peacefully), etc., No matter what, I was always forgiven. I miss Margaret. There are not to many days go by that I do not think of her and smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, now that I am a Mom and I hear the things you did, it makes me realize Mother Teresa had nothing on Margaret when it it came to patience and a kind heart!

      Delete